Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sight, Smell, Taste, Sound, Feel or Why You Should Wake Up

As I got to the bottom of the stairs on Sunday morning the delicious aroma of fresh baked sticky buns pulled me straight to the kitchen.
The minute I stepped into the kitchen I was thrust into the bustle of a family trying to get breakfast before leaving for church. The banging of dishes being put away and the shrieking of children confused and muddled all conversation so you had to shout to be heard.

I was quickly press ganged into setting the food on the table, which was quite a balancing act as I made my way through the masses with large amounts of steamy eggs and tantalizingly sweet sticky buns. The food was a healthy motivation for pulling everything together and the kitchen was restored to semi peaceful atmosphere in a relatively short amount of time as we settled down to pray before the meal.
After the blessing food was quickly doled out to eagerly waiting crowds. The plates being past down the line were full of color. The scrambled eggs were a light buttery yellow which contrasted nicely with the crisp brown sticky buns that were slathered in white cream glaze with hints of ruby colored cranberries and purple blueberries peaking out of the cinnamon swirl. In a few minutes the only noises to be heard were the contented chewing of several mouths and the scraping of silverware on the plates accompanied with an occasional grunt of satisfaction.
The sticky buns lived up to their name with an abundance of sticky stuff which twisted my mouth into a delightful mess. I loved the cranberries when they burst in unexpected packets of warm succulent fireworks. Some of the sticky buns had orange glaze on them which was a nice change to the buttery eggs and the sweet cinnamon of the other sticky buns. Now there was a tangy sweetness that complimented the other flavors.
The obvious pleasure on all the faces as I looked down the table was worth all the time and energy spent in the preparation. I cannot remember many other times when I have had such a nice time or eaten such good food.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, this is so sweet. And beautifully written, too! Very nice descriptions... it brings back wonderful memories! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you could use that sort of vocabulary when talking about sticky buns, I just wolf them down and say, "That was awesome". It usually is!

    ReplyDelete