Saturday, September 11, 2010

It started in the 1870's...

...with an Indian medicine man named Owl Prophet. From the tribe of the Kiowas, he was a powerful man with a very impressive name...

Then in 2005 on March 27th at a small farm in Smithfield, VA, a colt was born on Easter morning.

An especially pretty colt, I might add...





Because of the unusually cold weather the tiny colt almost died. But a man who loved the colt's mother found him almost frozen in the mud and picked him up and put him in his truck with the heat on full blast. The colt survived and became an entirely crazy, fully wild mustang, until one day a blond little girl had her 10th birthday. For her birthday, her loving parents gave her three horse riding lessons. The little girl decided on her first day that, not only did she not want to leave but that she needed a job to pay for more lessons.


When that girl began to train this unruly colt she found out that under his rough cover he was motivated by fear. Once she figured this out it she very quickly gained his trust through her love and months of careful training. He responded eagerly and mastered everything she gave him with gusto. When she mounted him for the first time, he carried her as if he had been born for nothing else. She could not have been happier.





He has now matured into a regal prince among mustangs while she thrives in his glory.





"...somethings are best left between a girl and her horse..."

For a mustang he is very well balanced. His sturdy legs give him agility and grace even over the roughest terrain. His narrow aerodynamic chest and build give him formidable endurance and unanticipated speed. He has well formed muscle and hoofs to be reckoned with. Add it all up and you will get ... something worth keeping.



As I happen to be that girl I am abb-sa-bally-lout-ly satisfied.



He has even the stunning ability to erase the awfulness of math from my brain when we are cantering off into the distance.

9 comments:

  1. That's a cool picture of him jumping the creek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was a way to just lift up this entire post and put it on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I love this! Your horse is so pretty- Someday you'll have to introduce us! I love you, Virginia Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there is a way Steve but it might involve right clicking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to introduce him to anyone. But I think he would especially love to meet you Eilonwy.
    Love,
    Virgina Gal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia,
    You are just wonderful and I'm so glad I know you. :)
    -The Alaska Girl who never writes on here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lydia! I loved this. I'm also so jealous that you have your own horse, I keep asking Adam for one... :)

    Love you, can't wait to see you SOON!
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  8. NO!!! NOT RIGHT CLICKING!!!! :-)

    Lydia, this is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful story. You are a gifted writer.

    ReplyDelete